View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 08:18 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey7mantle7 View Post
If I was making millions I'd sign my name whenever asked (if possible).
I once thought the same thing but American culture is so enamored with celebrity and wealth that I think things can get downright dangerous for people that "work" in the public eye.

I was fortunate to have played high school ball and kept in touch with one MLB player (1 time all-star, regular starting outfielder but not a superstar by any means) and I asked him about the autograph thing since I was a big-time chaser until about mid-1980s.

He told me some stories that would make any self-respecting autograph collector cringe that go way beyond things like getting interrupted at meals, and being handed dozens of things to sign at once.

But the one thing that turned the tide, that turned him into a somewhat reluctant signer was an incident in spring training (Florida). After some pre-game stretching in the outfield he was walking near the stands to the dugout, per usual there are lots of fans yelling for players to come and sign autographs. He related that he never would sign at this time as he would get himself mentally in "game mode" so he's basically focused, but he can hear a guy calling his name repeatedly. He doesn't acknowledge the guy, but he said the next thing he heard was "F'n uppity n..."

This is how ONE person can ruin things for everyone.

Spoke to him after he retired and he said things started getting completely out of control in the late 1980s and early 1990s (when the card boom was happening). People with binders of the same 8x10s, dozens of balls and bats. Aggressive kids (probably working for card show/shop dealers). People knocking on hotel room doors in the middle of the night...

He also related that every player pretty much knows their autographs get sold and some kid each other about their "value".