View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Ryan Christoff

I'll try to dig up what i have as far as box scores for Dihigo on the Cuban Stars. The most obvious detail, while not exactly scientific, is just looking at Dihigo. He is very young in this image. I've been collecting his cards and photos for over 15 years. I've owned over 100 photos of Dihigo over the years and have a database of probably 400-500 total images of him, mostly from various magazines in Mexico, Cuba, etc. Unfortunately, it's much harder to find images and information about his playing days in the United States than it is for Cuba or Mexico. I would find it very hard to believe that this image is from later than 1924, maybe 1925 at the latest. But that seems like a stretch to me. My best guess would be 1923, but a range of 1922-1924 seems the most likely to me.

It's difficult to go by a lot of the info that is out there regarding rosters since there are numerous mistakes in some of the ones published in commonly used reference materials. I would like to see a close-up of the blurry player in the front row, which might help some, but there are only 3 or 4 players it looks like it could be (Portuondo, Teran, Cardenas, Fabelo) and none of them really help to pinpoint an exact year since they were all there for multiple years. I'd also like to see closer scans of the guy in the top left corner.

-Ryan