View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Default Need Opinions T205 Young Real or Not

Posted By: Erland Stevens

Greg

Several months ago I picked up a T205 Zach Wheat from the exact same seller. The Wheat was in bad shape and went for something like $20+ - still not a bad deal. When I got it, the card was clearly fake. It didn't feel like a real vintage card, and the gold borders were a solid color (nothing like a bona fide sparkling T205 but very hard to see in a scan). Just like the Young card, the Wheat (Piedmont back) had some scuffing on the back. This scuffing on the Wheat was exactly where the word "reprint" was supposed to be. I've since seen Wheat reprints and the card I was sold was obviously doctored. The Young card is Sweet Caporal, and I would bet that "reprint" should appear just below the word "standard" at the very bottom of the card. You can see it because it has been removed.

In defense of the seller, I was offered a full refund. Thankful that I hadn't been burned for more and little intrigued at the card that fooled me so easily, I kept the card. The seller told me that he was just getting into the T205s and was having a hard time distinguishing reprints. Wanting to think the best, I believed him. This card now makes me think I should have been more suspicious.

Erland