View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Edited to add: I've seen cards with extra paper before, so I know it happens. But the ink still applies over the extra paper as the sheet passes through, so that in the end it appears as a bubble on the surface. How did the "extra paper" miss the ink pass? I'm calling BS on this.
That's mostly correct. Mostly. But there are a lot of other things that can happen. The scan just isn't good enough to show them so I could tell.

Extra paper can get on the card after the ink is applied, and stick to the wet ink.

Paper can also get stuck on post production as well.

The cardstock on 52s is white paper over the darker base material. Th upper layer can be damaged, folded over, printed on then folded back, leaving a "blank spot" (VERY uncommon, it can happen, but I haven't seen one. )

There can be a paper "inclusion" some bit of stuff that gets into the paper while it's being made. Usually a gentle bump, they can also be less gentle and stick out more. And the ink gets rubbed off pretty easily. I have a T206 with a pretty rough but small inclusion, ink rubbed off, it looks like a tiny spot of paper loss, but it's smooth. It did have a strong impact on the grade.

I'm weird, and like that sort of stuff. If I had the dough to get a 52 Mantle, this would interest me.