View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
So here is someone selling a print of the Dimaggio/Brown photo as a photo shot by Brace and not Burke. So I understand that Brace owns the rights to Burke's negatives but I guess there is some confusion about who actual took some of these shots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Dimaggio...item3ccc65fc2d
I think that seller's "confusion" is more a case of not having a clue what they are talking about. That shot was taken by Burke, not Brace, and that is Zeke Bonura (not Brown). The bulk of their description, which they use for all of their "Brace" photo listings, comes from the bracephoto.com website, including the reference to having thousands of Burke negatives (Brace did, this guy doesn't). He also completely leaves Brace's association with Burke out of the story. It's hard to tell if he has a handful of prints that were purchased from George Brace at some point, or if he's just blowing up scans, but I would definitely ask him a few questions to clarify what you're getting before buying.

Granted, Brace didn't help clear up confusion when he continued to produce prints of Burke's photos for years and years following Burke's death, which he stamped with his Brace Photo stamp on the back. But that shot was definitely taken by Burke in 1936 or 1937.