View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
Stephen,

Please don’t take this as a poke in the eye, but I think you are missing the point of what I took the time to lay out. My apologies if I was confusing. Assuming for the sake of argument, the only two examples out there are yours and the Heritage example. If this were a fact (which I am not saying it is), it does not change or effect the likely perceived market value or likely demand for the item in question as suggested above. Rarity, whether it be numeric or condition based, does not always translate into enhanced value over comparative items for any number of reasons. That is what I had hope was the “take away” from my previous post.

Is there a way to change this dynamic? There could be, but this requires that demand be created for the artifact/item in question. This can come though educational efforts (convincing collectors/the industry that the item is undervalued in a way that makes objective sense to them). In short, growing the number of collectors who would want what you are selling. In this case, numeric or condition based rarity might not be enough.

Offering comparative pricing data may not be enough since it appears (only an observation), that demand for the whole sheet may not be as strong as for the eaches. The dynamic might also change though the application of industry wide pressure. By this I mean the demand for grading/encapsulation of odd size product like this. I don’t think this will likely happen since this would require a market strong enough to justify the additional cost of creating new holders. For the most part, grading/encapsulation is based a volume business model. As such, there is little incentive to invest money in developing a supporting infrastructure for low density items.

I really don’t have anyone more thoughts or information on this particular topic. Maybe others do.

Dave Grob

I can tell you that in my time working at Wrigley Field in much of the decade of the 80's I did see several of these sheets located in various nooks and crannies of the old ball park. These proof sheets of all colors were typically found affixed to poster board (i doubt it was poster board as we know if today but some other kind of material from back in the day) and were used to show ushers and ticket takers examples of tickets so they knew where to point patrons based on ticket stub color. These have been stored in several places because, well lets just say the Cubs never threw anything out. The stuff I laid my eyes that was stuffed in filing cabinets in utility storage lockers and above work benches in the grounds crew room would have made me a millionaire by today's standards if I was a thieving type of guy.

The point being, while there may not be a number of these sheets in the hobby they are certainly out there and probably stuffed in the attics of long deceased ushers and security who worked those games.