View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Default Quality versus Quantity

Posted By: david Poses

Not sure if the title explains the concept, but i've been noticing a trend in my card buying habits and wanted to hear some other views- I seem to spend about the same amount of money every month on cards, but the cards seem to be at odds with each other- meaning- in any given month, my purchases could include a few relatively scarce, relatively high-grade cards, or a giant pile of raw common cards.

While I do remain within the self-imposed confines of only collecting cards of NYC teams, (initially I was focusing on Yankees/Highlanders, but have expanded to Dodgers and Giants), I sometimes feel like my collection is a mess.

Some days, I talk myself out of bidding on a $400 card, but that same day, rack up $400 in mid-grade Goudeys.

In the end, I'm not sure if I'll be happier with a collection encompassing a ton of cards across a wide spectrum or a small collection of exactly the cards I want. One of my new years hobby resolutions is to pick one of these very different directions, as its hurts my brain knowing that anytime I buy a $500 card I am stopping myself from adding to my Diamond Stars Yankees team set, and conversely, anytime I spend $500 on a bunch of Goudeys, I'm stopping myself from buying an e94 Dougherty in good shape.

Surely someone can relate. Talk myself out of the quantity of crap, or pursue the crap with considerable gusto?