View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Default As Lawrence Ritter might have said... Larry Doyle was the glory of his time (at 2nd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I know WAR and other advanced stats are supposed to eliminate the discussions of "in their day" but that discussion is no more apt than when discussing Doyle. Can anyone name one NL second baseman who had a better career than Larry Doyle at the time that his career was complete? I don't think you can. So while Doyle might have stats comparable to Travis Jackson, no one had stats comparable to Doyle while he was on the field. That says something to me.
and

I've always thought he was a HOFer. He was the best second basemen in his league for pretty much his entire career. When you're the best player at your position for your generation, I don't see why that wouldn't merit a HOF induction.

"Packs" has said it very well. Modifying the title of Lawrence Ritter's classic a little: Larry Doyle was the glory of his time at second base! [in the National League]

Last edited by SteveMitchell; 11-28-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: To add: [in the National League]