View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Not sure I'd call it a "great" or "good" story, because it came out of a pretty sad event...a fire at the 200+ year old farmhouse where I grew up, in the early morning hours of Super Bowl Sunday about a year and a half ago.

Scary stuff, but thank goodness everyone got out OK, although the house had to be torn down. My parents moved into their new house a week shy of a year after the fire.

The day after the fire, my brother, my father, and I went back to the house to see what could be saved.

At one point I'm walking through the dining room, which was one of the rooms that was not as badly damaged, except for areas of the ceiling that were damaged (likely by water) and had collapsed.

Flash back roughly 30 years...we have a story in our family about the day my brother dropped a Wade Boggs baseball card in our room (directly above the dining room) and the card had slipped right through a tiny crack between the floorboards. Thousand to one shot.

Flash back to the dining room on the day after the fire. I say to my brother "Hey, you remember that Wade Boggs baseball card you dropped through the floor?"

He replies "Do I? It was a 1987 Fleer Baseball's Best Wade Boggs. He was my favorite player and I was excited to get it. I held it up to show you and it fell."

Me: "Yeah, and dad didn't react well to our request to pull up the floorboards".

Him: "It was a Sunday, and I was so upset mom let me stay home from church."

Me: "Yeah, anyway, it's over there..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boggs.jpg (58.8 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by Mike D.; 05-31-2019 at 07:13 PM.