Thread: pwcc
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
I was looking at the Epson 700, and it has a feature called DIGITAL ICE. It is advertised as "DIGITAL ICE - remove the appearance of tears and creases from damaged photos"

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-B11B1780...rds=epson+v700

We've had a lot of people on this board complain of auction house scans where you can't see the creases on the card. Does anyone think that those auction houses might be applying this DIGITAL ICE technology to their scans?

I have Digital Ice but mine is a couple years old and maybe the software is outdated. It's never been of much use to me on regular photographs, but will help to clean up dust and such that sticks to negatives when I'm saving stuff for my files.

As far as cleaning up creases, I can't speak for anybody else who may be artificially enhancing stuff, but sometimes they just don't show up very well on scans. They get flattened out or hidden by the light source.

I will bet that some shops have been employing the dust removal setting, whether on purpose or not, on some of their cards. That's why we see print marks and small scuffs appearing and disappearing from auction to auction on the same card.