View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm with Jim, and I think it's a negotiable issue. If someone consigns 200 cards to me, and 190 are graded and 10 are raw, I am happy to provide a service for my consignor and get his raw cards graded at my expense.

But if most or all of his cards are raw, then I will discuss it with him and we would need to come up with a workable plan. There are grading fees that are well worth it to the seller, and fees that would cut too deep into the seller's profits.

This is an issue that cannot be generalized. Each situation has to be evaluated.
I agree with this. You can't generalize this issue as it can go both ways. If the card is a $100 raw card and graded it's worth $125.....then the consignor should pay only actual grading fees. If the consignor doesn't then the fee does take over half the gross profit of the sale. The cutoff would need to be when the value rises enough to offset the fee. An auction house charging for their time or making this a profit center is interesting.....stupid (imo), but interesting....