Thread: #1 cards
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default #1 cards

Posted By: Rhett

It seems to me that with a little research one could easily figure out about the whole #1 card being in worse condition idea. All one would have to do is do some research of the grading companies pop reports. One would have to keep in mind that they should compare #1 cards of the set to the star players in the respective sets. Compare the quantity that have been graded along with the average conditions of those that have been graded. If for example 100 1961 Topps Ron Santo RC's have been graded by PSA and roughly an equal # of Dick Groat's have been graded, find the average condition of those that have been graded (one should probably throw out an equal # of cards from each extreme to normalize the results) and see if there is a significant variance. One would have to do this for multiple sets and years, and from such a study one could determine if this is indeed an actual trend, or merely a myth. Obviously this wouldn't be an exact study but it would be informative, if someone has the time and desire to do so. (I personally don't). But I would be interested in any info somebody finds by doing so.
-Rhett