View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Default Zee-nut Questions...

Posted By: AdamBaxter

There are some tough years including I believe 1914, 1915, 1916, 1918 (I've seen fewer of this year then any other), 1920 and I think a couple more. Home Run Kisses which are the better looking cousin of Zee Nuts and have the same ACC designation are much tougher as well. The biggest issue with Zee Nuts is condition. Zee Nuts had coupons on the bottom starting in 1913 through 1937-38 that were almost always torn or trimmed off. Very few with coupons remain and those that do carry a premium over other Zee Nuts. In his Encyclopedia, Lew Lipset reprinted part of a story by a Zee Nut collector Dick Dobbins that explained that the poor condition of Zee Nuts had a lot to do with a game called "Zee Nut shooting" back in the day. This game apparently resulted in folds, rounded corners and such. They haven't popped up on Ebay as much lately as some other PCL issues, such as Obak. The most common Zee Nuts you will find on Ebay are usually from the late 20's and 30's. The earier years tend to come up on Ebay less frequently. There are some dealers like Fritsch and Dennis King who carry pretty large inventories of these cards. Hope I've been helpful.

Regards,
Adam