View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

I've enjoyed reading this thread as well as the Close Candy building one because Massachusetts is the only place I've ever lived and it's cool that there is so much early baseball stuff in the area. Unfortunately I don't know much about anything in regards to the Massachusetts baseball heritage that doesn't involve the Red Sox. Does anyone know of any other early baseball sites in this area? I'm in Boston/Newton right now, rather than Worcester which is a bit of a trek. Does anyone know if the Goudey building/factory is still up? Also, if anyone has of any book recommendations about baseball in Massachusetts I would greatly appreciate them. I've never heard of the Worcester Brownstockings, and I believe there were some early teams in the factory towns like Lowell and Lawrence but I know absolutely nothing about them. (Shoot me an email unless you think everyone could benefit, don't want to clutter up the Socalexis thread).

Getting back on topic... I had never heard of this player so I did some reading. What an interesting and tragic story. He seems kind of like the Jackie Robinson of the tobacco era. Does anyone know if later players like Bender and Meyers faced less racism-charged anger? Also, as far as memorabilia goes, did colleges produce yearbooks back then? If so, there might be a team picture or drawing in it.