Thread: Dutch Revelle
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default A little more history

Lou said it would be ok to post this and gives another glimpse of Dutch....It is part of an email string we had several days back....

. I am going to scan that photo and a newspaper article (original) from ca1903 where Dutch was proclaimed as "Best Pitcher in the Virginia League". I also have several other family photos showing Dutch, one which may be Dutch as a child, taken in a Portsmouth Photography studio, although I am not entirely sure of that one. My uncle (Castallaine Revelle) is said to have had an old bat, glove and signed ball, from Dutch, but he never got along with my dad, and I never saw this memorabilia. Reportedly when he (Castallaine) died (1989) these items were carried over to his wife who moved to North Carolina (with her family) shortly afterward (they had no children). I remember, as a child ca1949-50, my dad and all the aunts and uncles would walk from their home on 27th st. in Norfolk to a ball field which was near the R.R. tracks on Church St. I don't remember the name of the field...it later became a farmers' market. I believe the home team was the Norfolk "Tars" but I'm not sure......Dutch Revelle had a great impact on that generation of my family. They admired the man, even years after his death. My father (Granville) always had people call hisself "Dutch". As a child I thought that was my dads' real name!!!!!! My dad played some baseball also...mostly with leagues associated with the Merchant Marines, and he was pretty good until he fractured his finger....then his ball playing ended....My dad wanted me to play baseball in the worst kind of way, but I had no interest. When I went out for little league trials and they hit a flyball to me, I had never seen a ball hit so high, and I could not find it. The little league people thanked my dad for bringing me out and that was the end of my B.B. career!!!!!!! I ended up being a swimmer in high school. Until the day he died my dad religiously watched ball games on t.v. He once told me that losing his dad in that shipyard accident was something he never good overcome....Dutch must have been quite a guy....I regret never having had a chance to meet him.
Will contact you soon.....Lou Revelle
-----Original Message-----