View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Before I let this thread disappear into the oasis. I would like to add another 2 cents to it. The broader point I think I am trying to make, is that most of us do not know the origin of the prewar cards in our binders safe-deposit boxes. What kid or father or uncle opened-up that T206 that you have in your hands. Did they meet their demise in a mustard gas attack during World War I? Did they survive the 1917 Spanish Flu? Did they survive disco? I have a few pre-war cards in my collection that I can trace back to the original owners along with an accompanying story; and that makes them extra cool. Perhaps the stories were embellished by the family....well, some stuff can be checked and some can't.

Not to wax poetic, but I really believe that to a degree collectors are gatekeepers to history. Therefore, when the opportunity presents itself to get some information about a baseball card's past. It is extremely imperative that we seek and store that info......it will make this hobby that much more enjoyable. During Skydashes 45 seconds of fame, I was one of the ones who yelled "BRAVO", when he slabbed his cards with the name "SKYDASH COLLECTION". If you own one of his cards, it just adds another layer to the story your grand children will tell one day when they start to look through your collection (before they sell it, of course!). So, be on the look-out for your own "Ernest L. Krotz" card story, you won't regret it and you will be doing this hobby a service.

Lovely Day...