View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Removing tape from vintage cards

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

My earlier post was partially in jest... I was serious about the tape.

I sit here in disbelief. I collect baseball cards. I don't collect slabbed cards, where I'm dependent upon someone who knows less than I think I do about cards. So removing tape, or erasing a pencil mark, or soaking an old T card to let the scrapbook remnants and flour paste leave the card is fine with me. To me, the slabbing and grading services, the "investors in baseball cards" THOSE guys are the real threat to the hobby of baseball card collecting.

I can see that I might be a threat to lemming-like slab collectors, who collect only "4"s, or "6"s, not that they know what they have...

Neither me, nor my card maintenance, is a threat to a card collector.

What about those little desicant packages that control moisture???? H2O is a chemical, is removing that from a card "doctoring" and taboo???

Maybe I'm wrong on this... next time you guys who think so get cards that have tape or pencil marks, mail them to me and I'll give you a fair price for the butchered little fellows.

I'm not advocating soaking a card to stretch it to fool a card grader... nor am I advocating bleach. But really... pulling tape off? Unbelievable.