View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Default Chicago Sporsts "Spectacular" - My Pick Ups and Hot Takes

Haven't been to a bigger show in years. Used to go to the national's every year, other big shows in Chicago and the Midwest but nothing in maybe 20 years. So, since I have to drop my daughter off at O'Hare for a flight to Europe, I figure go couple hours early, drop off three subs to PSA to save the shipping and scour the floor for some Jell-O cards. Well, I wait in line at the PSA table for nearly an hour and a half....all to just hand them some cards that I have already filled out the online forms. After the first 20 minutes I just go up and ask a guy if I need to wait in line since I have everything filled out and just need to give them to someone. "Yep". As the minutes go by and my daughter is looking at the time I get more and more furious. Finally when there were still 2 people in line in front of us....and there was only about 10 when we got in line to begin with, I lost it and I think loudly said "eff" this, I'll just spend the money to send them in, they'll get there quicker." I get that everyone has to wait their turn and if I'm there to have something authenticated at the show, yeah, I'll wait But, why make the customers that are only going to take 5 minutes of your time wait so long?? So this gives me maybe 15 minutes before we have to get over to the airport to get her checked in so I'm mad dashing from table to table asking for 62 Jell-O. I didn't run into many but got a Bill Virdon that was decent and a Don Zimmer that is crap but it fills a hole for now. I did happen across a 62 Topps Uecker rookie. I pick them up whenever I can. So those 3 cards I spend $52. Would have loved to have spent a lot more.
But, if anyone else goes, please let me know if you felt the show to be very disorganized. Again, I haven't been to a bigger show in years and this just seemed cluttered all over the place. I will say, there was a decent amount of nice vintage stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy it. Anyhow, after a 3 hour drive back home, I feel better and I will tuck my tail between my legs and get my cards ready to submit to the grading Gods. FYI, walked past Beckett's booth a couple times...not a soul there. Ok, thanks for reading thru that garbage, if you did. Now I will try to post a scan of the cards I got.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg img438 (2).jpg (82.0 KB, 242 views)