View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hey Chuck, I have no concerns over the pristine holder, none of my cards would be graded as such. It all boils down to uniformity with the other SGC graded cards. I have nearly 100 Detroit OJs, all in SGC holders with green label. I have a couple upgrades ready to be sent in that will now stick out. When displaying the collection a good looking slab with a uniform look will help put the emphasis on the cards as it should be. I'm very stubborn on uniformity in all my hobbies, be it cards, coins, etc. I recognize it as a fault. This label change will result in some of us being less loyal to SGC. I'd be satisfied if they simply retained the green border. Maybe I'll be less opposed with time.
This I can understand. I have definitely learned over the years that many collectors strive for that element of uniformity.

As a side note, I think the best and most positive thing out of all this is that SGC is not going down without a fight. Not that they were on the way out, necessarily, but things weren't looking good -- SGC was stagnant as a company, while PSA had been introducing improvements to their products and site left and right.

It now seems like SGC is making a concerted effort to improve their product and market share, and that can only be a good thing for us collectors. The more competition for PSA and BGS, the better (even if SGC will never be as big as PSA, they don't have to be).

I also hope the improvements to the actual holder and plastic mold will forever eliminate the dreaded "slipping the gasket" epidemic that we saw with many SGC encapsulated cards, especially the glorious cabinet cards we all know and love. I thought I saw a mention of improvements to the holder itself, hopefully being similar to the PSA slab in which the rear portion fits inside of the front.

I am pulling for SGC to succeed with all of this.