View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Default New collectors asking for advice

Posted By: runscott

Another would be when someone asks for advice and the answer is simple. "Should I buy PRO cards?!? ".

Based on the accumulated knowledge and experience of board members, the answer would be a simple and resounding "NO". Everyone who participates regularly on this board knows that NASA,AAA and PRO are very poor bets. I too can think of ways to minimize risk when buying a PRO-graded card (John Spencer has done a good job of it at times), but newbies need honest opinions and I would never recommend that someone new to the hobby buy PRO-graded cards with confidence just because the seller is a super-duper Platinum Power Seller.

Also, the guy selling the t206 Matty reprint had a very good feedback rating and from emails I exchanged with him, he was obviously an honest guy who made a mistake, and was new to vintage cards. So I'm certain it's possible for people to get outside of their area of expertise and make mistakes, despite being a Powerseller. What if, for instance, a seller attained his super-duper PowerSeller status by selling comic books, then moved over to the vintage card area? Would this be a guy you would trust to buy cards from? much less, PRO-graded cards? (just a hypothetical example)