View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
The recent rise in fraud involving reholdered cards got me thinking (I know, I do a lot of it) whether PSA is risking its market share. Yes, they're the big player on the block with the most to lose. Fake Mantles, Cobbs, Ruths, etc..all put back together with little to no evidence of tampering. Most of these appear to be older-style holders. But, is PSA potentially leaving themselves wide open for a competitor to steal their lunch? If someone were able to introduce a technology that could make it nearly impossible to pull off this kind of fraud, could it be a Kodak moment for PSA?

Don't get me wrong, I still like their product and they haven't completely lost me with increased fees and slower turnaround times. I just wonder if they're leaving themselves wide open and creating the perfect storm. No holder will ever be completely fraud-proof, as the mouse always figures out the better mouse trap. It just seems to be getting a little out of hand lately.
I don't know why you think this is anything new. Bad cards in what appear to be PSA holders have been around for many years, there are plenty of threads about it stretching back for years, and PSA has continued to dominate the market. Just because you may be recently aware of it doesn't mean it's a new issue.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-20-2018 at 06:54 PM.