View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

I have discussed Mantle signatures with Shelly many times, and he's always impressed me with his knowledge. He's made a few mistakes, but he also accepts that publicly and moves on. Being willing to learn from your mistakes at his age is a rarity. Much more common with 'experts' in this hobby to have their knowledge frozen in place by their massive egos.

I don't know Mike Frost, but I'm sort of surprised at some of his analyses of Mantle autographs in this thread. I say "sort of surprised" because I know that having an eye for autographs involves a talent that some people have, and some people don't. If you don't have it, you can be personal friends with someone for a lifetime, and look at a million of their signatures, and you will still make more mistakes than someone who has a better eye than you.

I also don't get why PSA and JSA keep getting thrown into the argument - everyone in this thread who has ever given an opinion on autographs knows more than either of them. I have no reason to believe that Mike Frost is any worse than either of those companies.