View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Default They Never Made It On To "Old Cardboard"

Posted By: Rhys

Ryan

The Cameo Pepsin pin is certainly the Holy grail of Sockalexis stuff, (If you exclude the only known signature of him which is on a beautiful and unique cabinet photo at the Holy Cross University Archieves). However; since Bruce titled it "old cardboard", I think he was trying to limit it to cards only.

Aside from the Monster Imperial Cabinet photo I own, and about 3-4 other authentic photographs known to exist in private hands, there is essentially nothing of Sockalexis in the open market (there are a few other things in Archieves and museums). Rhett and I grew up in the town he was from and I used to play Hockey at the Louis Sockalexis Ice Arena (and weekend Bingo Hall). All of his personal stuff was burned in a fire or lost while he was a homeless itenerant, and the Penobscot tribe itself owns almost nothing of his.

It is claimed that two Cameo Pepsin pins exist, but I think there is only one single example. I would be happy to eat crow on that statement if it is wrong, but I dont think it is.

Rhys