View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Default O/T what happened to the NBA? Bad Marketing?

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I started watching the NBA Game of the Week in the late 50s / early 60s (idolized Cousy) but pretty much lost interest in the 90s. I suppose I'll be a minority of one on this, but I feel that the 3-point shot is an overall detriment to the game. Here's why.

- It's killed any emphasis on the mid-range jumper and players' ability of shoot it with any consistency.

- It cheapens good post play and doesn't reward good court positioning - like the game was designed to be.

- Most importantly, it cheapens the first 46 minutes (38 in college) of the game. A well-earned advantage is often lost by the ridiculous aspect of the game whereby the trailing team can foul and trade 3 points for 2. It's even worse in college where the 3-point line is close enough for the average grandmother to make. All this makes all but the end of the game seem meaningless and boring - and the last two minutes interminable - especially in college where time outs can be called after a made basket.

One other thing - the influx of high schoolers and players without full college training has spawned a league of great athletes who are crappy basketball players.

Add it all up - unwatchable.