View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Another use of the max bid I have used early in an auction is to automatically raise the bid price frequently to not allow as many other bidder the option of bidding during extended time. For instance, if I think a card will sell for $1500 and the starting bid is $100, I might put a max bid (or even a straight bid, depending on how much I want the card) of say $1000 right away and therefore limiting the number of spots other bidders can take.
I use the straight bid for this purpose. I figure there are many bidders who throw minimal-sized bids on far more lots than they intend to (or can afford to) win, and then get more serious as the bidding overtakes what would be their max on many of these and they have to hunt for what's left. I don't like them hanging around in the wee hours looking to see if one of the cards I'm chasing is still available to them, so I sometimes try to freeze them out early, with a decent size straight bid that they will have to top before extended bidding. Not sure how effective this is, but I believe it has worked a time or two.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.