View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have done a little research and wasn't sure about rarity of different backs and other things like that. If I do purchase a hofer I will purchase it either psa or sgc graded. I have also been researching the grading companies because I typically do not buy graded cards either. I have read there have been issues with counterfeit cards in psa holders so that worried me as well
Coming from a Post War collector who is now dipping into Pre-War a bit (just started a SGC graded 34 Goudey set), go with SGC. I was just like you...not much for graded, love em raw. I have yet to hear of any counterfeiting or issue's with SGC, and I most likely will not buy a Pre-War card that is NOT graded due to all the issues.

I will also add that my brother, who also collects, decided he wanted PSA graded Mantle collection. The 2nd card he purchased on ebay turned out to be a cracked case with a lower graded card placed in a high grade case. Total joke...I will never buy PSA with their cheap cases (my brother either, lol). SGC with the black inletting looks 100% cooler anyhow. Just my .02$ from a guy who trusts no one in Pre-War.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03