View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Erik, happy to answer. All that was originally said was that it was a great outcome but getting there is far from the cliff notes version of what Leon is now saying. That turned into Leon insinuating that I'm making up stories. Which offended me as I think it would most if you.

Leon knows and he's welcome to deny that he and I exchanged quite a few civil PMs during the mess. In which he admits to knowing there was a mark the day the FBI returned his card. He said he didn't bother to look into it beyond that. His reasoning was that nobody he talked to said they would look into it. He also states that he thought researching the mark to identify it was going to be expensive so he didn't bother. Even though it was easily deduced from simple scans. He also admitted to me that in hindsight he should have taken the time to look into the mark...but he just didn't because he felt most wouldn't bother.

Now fast forward and it's he only really knew about the mark the day it was made public here and after it was listed for sale. This is either not true or if it true it's only because Leon choose to ignore an issue and list the card for sale without any due diligence in regards to the issues he was made aware of by the FBI.

Sorry if I have an issue with a person playing nice in PMs and taking quite a bit more responsibility behind close doors for some not so smart choices of ignoring issues around an item. All while playing a different hand to the public. I've never claimed he willing knew of the mark being a NYPL mark. But I have stayed true to the fact that he had every chance to find out what this mark was and choose to ignore or take no action until after it was brought to light by others. That's what bothers me about the whole thing.

Again if any of the above is not true please feel free to correct Leon.

I would ask if this wasn't Leon if these actions and choices were played by anyone else would everyone be so quick to dismiss and turn the the tables. Keep in mind it wasn't me who was looking to profit from a questionable item through poor choices or other reasons.

Cheers,

John
First of all in those rapid fire PMs there is no doubt I was placating you. That was a mistake and I will admit that. (as I said on the phone today) And the ID wasn't deduced from simple scans. The scan was 1200dpi and an exemplar overlay was used. Not quite a simple scan. And if you are going post about PM's why not say the whole context?

"I guess I should have pursued it in retrospect...but no one I have spoken with personally would have done that. What can I say?"

So yes, in 20/20 hindsight it would have been good to pursue further because a mark was eventually ID'd. But with the information at hand I made the correct decision at the time and would make all of the same decisions again. The authorities knew every single thing I did with the card before, during and after the return. If I was trying to hide something I wasn't hanging with the right people. But again John, I don't think I will ever convince you of the truth.