View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Scene of the crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickedson View Post
Thanks for all your input. It's been really helpful in planning the trip. I've been checking out hotels close to Fenway and wondered if anyone has stayed at the Hotel Buckminster, which is very close to Fenway?
Don't know anything about the accommodations at the Buckminster, but you'd be staying at a place that played a pivotal role in baseball history. World Series fixer Sport Sullivan met with Chick Gandil there to plan their scheme in 1919.
As a former longtime Boston resident, I, too, am a big fan of the T. However, when I returned this summer I discovered the Government Center station was closed longterm, making the transfer from the Blue Line (from the airport) to the Green Line (a branch of which stops in Kenmore Square near Fenway) rather challenging, especially for someone with suitcases and not familiar with the system (it would be even worse if you arrived during a heavy volume time).
All the historical, culinary and watering hole tips you've received are spot on. I don't think anyone mentioned the Museum of Fine Arts, which is only a few blocks from Fenway. If you are of an outdoor bent, don't miss the Public Garden. In addition, the Arnold Arboretum at the end of the Orange Line in Forest Hills is world class and the Emerald Necklace system of parks designed by Frederick Law Olmsted provides excellent walking and biking opportunities.
B.ob Ric.hardson

Last edited by spec; 12-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.