View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Default 1904....McGraw's World Series"curse" on Boston

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

David

You subjective mind is apparently reading "strange things" into what I have posted here.

What I am saying is that McGraw (and Co.) were not going to play Boston (or the Highlanders) for several reasons....

Having won the NL pennant in mid Sept. of 1904, the Giants went on a terrible slide in the remaining 2 weeks of the season.
McGraw was very concerned that this would affect the Giants performance in the World Series against an AL team that had
momentum going into the World Series.

Furthermore, McGraw and Brush had seen the Giants' attendance drop to less then 1000, while the Highlanders were enjoy-
ing record NY crowds, approaching 30,000 fans at Hilltop Park. And, yor statement that the Highlanders were "comfortably"
ahead of Boston is incorrect.

McGraw's "paranoia" that Ban Johnson's AL team (whichever one) could possibly beat his Giants and vindicate Johnson's decision
not to select McGraw to manage the Highlanders was so intense that it overwhelmed his better judgement.

I could go on and on describing the mindset of McGraw those last two weeks of the 1904 season to explain his actions and
comments to to press....but, I will leave it up to anyone that is really interested, to read the books written on this subject.

And, I didn't say Chesbro's pitch was a "PASSED BALL"....will you start to objectively read and comprehend what I have posted ?

As to you David....you apparently are a "kiljoy". I posted this thread to engage in a meaningful and thought-provoking discussion.
And, all you can contribute to it is negative commentary.

TED Z