View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Default sports sculpture

One of my focus is antique sports sculpture. Below is a c1900 silver plate statue of an oarsman holding a wreath in victory standing by a scull. I spotted it on eBay about 4:30AM 8 hours before it closed. It's a monster at 22 inch wide. I had a snipe bid about 4 times what I got it for! I had never seen the complete statue but saw just the athlete laying on a table at an antique street fair in Pleasanton Ca in May 2009...I didn't know what sport he was for so passed because it was a little pricey.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got it for such a bargain I bid and won the wooden model below of a double scull from the same seller...which closed an hour after the statue...always wanted one those models.....they don't come up too often. For the price I got the statue for it was like a freebie! They're essentially folk art. It was listed as 19th century but it seems like c1900...and was represented to have had restoration....they did a perfect job...the oars are clearly not original to the boat but they're not too bad...for the price of $305.00...I think I've seen damaged ones go for double that...The seller did a great pack job on both pieces....the model came in a length of PVC pipe so was indestructible

Photobucket