View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Will raise a question re: Hank Aaron. I read there was a 1952 Indy Clowns postcard set that included Aaron. OldCardboard.com has a pic, though I suppose I don't know for sure it's authentic.

Given that we generally accept postcards as RCs and given that we accept non-MLB for other Negro League players (e.g., Josh Gibson), should we not consider the 1952 Indy Clowns P/C as the Aaron rookie?

Am assuming the answer is "pre-rookie" because Aaron later played in the bigs. However, I'm less comfortable applying that approach to the Negro Leagues than I am the minor leagues.

I will further note that the 1915 CJ Ed Rous(c)h RC depicts him with the Federal League Indianapolis club, which I do realize is still treated as the big leagues but is nonetheless a bit harder to clearly differentiate from the Negro Leagues.

Am not looking to assert more knowledge than the OP here. Certainly I am nowhere near. Rather, just pointing out what seems to be a curious case.
Good point...I guess the question becomes if the negro leagues are considered the big leagues. At this point I think they would.