View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
If that was how it appeared then sorry. Just intended ad a good natured jab acknowledging I may have whined a bit but I figured you could admit that the original post is a soapbox. I am still relatively new to posting here and still trying to find my way. Not looking for some sort of pissing match so will do what I should have done before just move along.
Awww... Don't worry Dustin, I think most of us took that as it was intended. A bit of back and forth can be fun, but we all have different tolerances for it.

As far as the whole graded/not graded thing goes, I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. The bulk of my collection isn't graded, and at least in the pre 1980 category really shouldn't be. P-F through G-vg is a pretty easy call for nearly everyone I have had a few of my prewar cards graded. I don't know if my daughters will be interested, and even if they are having the nicer ones done is pretty reasonable. It's nice having a few T cards I can let them look at without worrying that the card will get totally destroyed. And if they're not interested, selling them will be easier and probably get them a better return.

I do enjoy sometimes just going through a stack of old cards for the feel of it. My sense of smell isn't all that good, and it takes a LOT of old cardboard to make it register. (More than I own.) Then I'm torn between nostalgia and wondering about what's breaking down to cause the smell.

I know some of it is a feeling that slabs make the condition more important than the card, and that the difference in price bugs some people. All in all it's just a different version of being grumpy about rising prices of any kind. I'd love to be able to buy stuff for what It cost when I started, but higher prices have probably made a lot of great stuff available or saved it from being tossed out altogether.

I think there's room in the hobby for all of it. There's so many different ways people collect I really don't see it as more than just another different way.

I'll put away my soapbox for now......

Steve B