View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
A.J. Johnson

Paul I know you were kidding..but yes there were cameras and docents in some of the rooms. What was amazing though was that many of the items were very accessible. Some of the turn of the last century equipment was just sitting on display and could be picked up and examined. Many of the jerseys were hanging on hangars in reach of the patrons. Game used bats were sitting in displays that allowed you to touch and feel them. I think that's what Gary wanted when he set it up was it to be better fan experience than a typical museum. My friend who I was with had also been to the Hall of Fame and said the collection rivaled that and said the displays were better seen than there.
One thing that really stood out to me was the one of kind set of 50 or so paintings of baseball players on canvas that Gary found from a collector in Chicago about 10 years ago. This collector owned gas stations and had these large portraits commissioned to hang in his stations. They were all super amazing and owning just one would be something special to have in your man cave.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 09-03-2016 at 09:30 PM.