View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
Searched on GenealogyBank in PA and NJ for ads from 1952-56 and didn't get any hits at all using the search "mascot dog food." I expanded my search for the whole country, and got this tantalizing piece of info (photo) which came from the April 27, 1954 Evening Star out of Washington, D.C. in "The Baseball Beat" column by Burton Hawkins.

The text reads,
"Bucky Harris is a business associate of Al Rosen, Ed Mathews, Robin Roberts, Yogi Berra, Ed Lopat, Monte Irvin and Specs Toporcer. Their pictures appear on cans of Mascot dog food and they get a slice of the sales."

That's it! Sure would be great if those guys were on the remaining cards in the set!
Wow! Great research Jason! I didn't think newspapers could be searched so easily. That pretty much puts the issue date as no earlier than 1954. However, I wonder why Mantle wasn't mentioned in the article. Could it be that more were issued in 1955? Or was Mantle included in the 1954 issue but was added after the article made it to print? Since the backs of some cards mention 8 cards in the set and others mention 11 cards in the set, does that mean it's more likely the Mantle is part of an 11 card set issued in 1955 versus an 8 card set issued in 1954?