View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the thread guys. Rob, nice find. The DS boxes I have seen look like the regular 1991 Topps boxes. Are your boxes wrapped in cello? I have not seen DS boxes wrapped in cello - other than BBCE certified boxes (see below). DS boxes will look exactly the same as regular issues 1991 Topps boxes - even the 4 yellow bordered 1991 Topps cards printed on the bottom of the boxes do not have a DS logo on them.

One of the ways you can tell a DS pack is to use a strong blacklight and shine it on the back of the pack. The red trim on the reverse of DS cards should glow or fluoresce; if it doesn't it is likely not a DS pack. However, if every pack in the box glows or fluoresces, there is a high probability it is a DS box. Here is a pic of "sealed" Desert Shield boxes by BBCE (below).

Z
Thanks for weighing in.

So I opened one of the unsealed boxes last night and it was a dud...just plain ol' '91 Topps & only 1 Chipper.

The sealed boxes are wrapped with the (here is the part where I start to sound like a moron) crinkly type of plastic...not the type of plastic that stretches when pulled...does that make sense? I saw (i assume it was your) post about the blacklight when I did a quick google at the estate sale yesterday...I may need to see if I still have my blacklight stuffed in a closet somewhere and check 'em tonight.

I went back to the same this AM...it looked like nobody had gone through the box since me. Found 42 more worth grabbing @ 25% off today, he took 'em all the way down to $3 each since I bought so much yesterday...nothing crazy...my biggest miss was a '63 ROokie Stars w/ Gaylord Perry & another '61 Leaders w/ Koufax, mid stars like Kubek, Oliva, Kaat, things like that...a couple of Variant Checklists that have a little premium on them...two more sealed '91 Topps boxes appeared as well, so I grabbed them (now for $4 each), as well as half a dozen or so 90 UD Hi # Boxes just to rip hoping to find Aaron auto (fat chance, but for $3 a box, why not?!)

I'll probably head back over there in the afternoon tomorrow to see what kind of deal they'll make on the scraps since they are mid-high grade...bulk of what is left is '63 commons, handful of adjoining years.

Last edited by RobDerhak; 07-24-2015 at 11:54 AM.