View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default Peck and Snyder CDV Advertisement

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's possible (I said possible) that that the older CDVs were the originals from earlier years and that were still in stock. That the Creighton (sold out?) is not on the list might support this theory.

There are far greater Peck & Snyder experts on this board than I, but I was under the impression that there were two different kind of small Peck & Snyder cards, at least for the Reds. One had the advertising on back and one had none. If so, that one kind is sold to the public doesn't not mean the other (ad back) was not a trade card.

On numerous old CDVs and cabinet photos, the studio's ad on back will sometimes say 'We can make more if you want.' So it was possible for the CDV maker to make more on demand. However, for a big wholesale/resale company like Peck & Snyder, it might have been most cost effective to have a lot made up at once, rather than having them remade sporadically. The 'We can make more' ad was generally not intended for a big resale corperation, but for a small town couple who just got their wedding photo and might down the road wish to purchase an extra copy for Uncle Bob who missed the wedding.