View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I have no idea what the W C means. You're the expert!

You are also the Trench expert. Yes, that font was used on a ton of pennants. That batter was also used on a ton of Giants pennants but usually with what I call the "cartoon" font.

First, the common font with the universal batter and next, a couple of examples with the 1962 batter and the cartoon font. Note both the early and later enclosed Candlestick Park. Finally, that batter is very similar to the 1958 pennants showing Seals Stadium.

More detective work for ya!
Rob/fballguy: Ditto on the Tigers pennant being totally sweet. I love that there's a gradual color gradient between the two colors in the tiger's stripes. Nice pick-up!

Rob/ooo-ribay: You make a solid case that the pennants you showcased were all by the same maker, even that '58 Seals Stadium one. For me, the first Candlestick Park pennant rendering confirms that maker was in fact Trench. (The way the artist drew the crowd, in particular, seems consistent with other stadium renderings of theirs in the early 1960s.) I'm unsure why Trench apparently limited this "cartoon" font to Giant pennants. But I can't say I've seen it elsewhere.

The "1962 batter" however was used for other teams by Trench as early as 1959. Or, at least a minor variation thereof. Apparently the Trench artist liked adding a vertical stripe to the batter's jersey, for added contrast, I suppose? See below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959WSpennant2.jpg (81.8 KB, 287 views)