View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

The original testing I did with a 5x yielded the same results as the high-powered microscope. Generally I can say with confidence that with a 5x (sometimes without), it takes 3-5 seconds to spot a fake or a card that has been tampered with. Honestly, I expected to spot some sort of 'evidence' without needing a more powerful microscope. I am more of a 'nay-sayer' when it comes to T206 oddities that involve missing letters,etc., so I questioned everything I saw, but each imperfection in the white border was in line with similar imperfections in the baseline examples. No evidence of scratches, etc.

After the 5x results, I looked even more carefully under higher-magnification, convinced that something would show up, but it really just showed larger images of the imperfections in the white border. One of those things that is necessary, but just gives you a bit more confidence in what you already have found.

It is interesting to try to imagine how it would be possible to remove all traces of letters. But all you can really do is say that you can't find any evidence of such work.

I had a microscope when I was a teenager and looked at everything I could get hold of...things I can't really mention publicly.