View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
You might want to take a look at Ty Cobb's various "obscure" (or shall we say ultra-rare?) postcard rookies, as well, of course, as the Babe's 1914 Baltimore News schedule card. The latter was extremely "obscure" in the late '80's and well into the early nineties, while the former have been going up, shall we say, quite nicely in price ($4,000 for a 1907 Dietsche Fielding pose Cobb in 2011 and $15,000 in 2015, both in PSA 5, and as I recall, an even rarer than rare 1907 Stainless Steel Tube Cobb went for $24,000 about a year ago). Demand usually comes around to rare and significant, "obscure" or otherwise. See what colonial coins and territorial gold coins have done since being "discovered" in the past 20 years or so.

In that regard, however, one might want to consider the much more elusive, so-called 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit Robinson--that is, if you can find one. Last time I looked there were about seven total graded, and I don't believe the count is going to change much. Most collectors like to have something ultra rare and desirable that others don't have. It's just the nature of the beast.

Happy collecting, in any form or manner you personally choose,

Larry
+100000000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Candidly, it reads like a bucket shop sales pitch for a penny stock:

"Buy any raw or graded Jackie Robinson Bond Bread card available at any reasonable price. This is going to become a home run in the next 12-24 months."

I get a dozen calls a week from various people pitching me 'investments' with this sort of over the top verbiage. It reeks of huckster-like hype. If you want to develop credibility in the field on this board, which is filled with experts who've been doing this for decades, this sort of stuff isn't the way to do it.

I also agree that the card is already out of the bag. I snapped up an example a while ago when the research on the creation of the cards was reported here and demonstrated it is a real regional RC. So did many other collectors. Anyone getting into it now is hoping to ride a wave that has already spent a ton of its energy. I also have to ask what your stake is in hyping this card. My cynical mind goes right to that question whenever I see something like this: is this a pump and dump effort to hype and then move your own cards. Not saying it is, just that this kind of breathless promoting raises the question.

I can honestly say that I have 0 of these cards so this post actually hurts me by drawing attention to it, however I am confident in my opinion that there is a ton of growth still left for the Bond Bread Card.

I really meant for it to sound like Jim Cramer with the whole BOOM thing. I figure if you are gonna do a buy low column why not make it as gimmicky as possibly while still giving insight. I wanted to do one of those a month or so.

I do believe that any RETAIL price is a good price right now on this card as we could be looking back at these prices wishing we bought at them a year or 2 from now.

I love writing and researching, so the blog made perfect sense for me.

I respect EVERYONE'S opinions though and no hard feelings at all!