Thread: PSA versus SGC
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Mike

My '52 Topps Mantle (SGC 4) didn't meet the requirements for a PSA 4 crossover. $700 down the drain...But...it looks better than most PSA 5s.

That is absolutely at least a PSA 4 per their descriptions:

Very Good-Excellent
A PSA VG-EX 4 card's corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

They couldn't even tell me why it didn't cross. Spent $700...gave me my card back in SGC holder and didn't even have the courtesy to explain why. Had to call 3 times.
If a big customer that spends a lot of money with them submitted it - then I'm sure it's going to cross over. Politics for sure. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

If anything, they are inconsistent snobs...especially when you compare old labels vs the new label harsh standards. Doing a 180 to protect current high graded cards.

The current 3s and 4s look better than the older 5s and 6s in many instances. I just want consistency.

Last edited by Canofcorn; 07-28-2016 at 12:34 PM.