View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are a few other ways scammers are doing their deeds which hopefully will come out soon. I have in my possession the only fake e94 overprint I am aware of. It was cracked out of an SGC holder after the fact. This was from years ago. I would say we need to be more vigilant than ever today. From my perspective I see issues surrounding T206s more than anything, but all cards, fronts and/or backs can be altered and/or faked...Caveat Emptor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadekrazy View Post
Peter - yes that is a valid point. I would imagine it wouldn't be overly difficult to fake a stamp such as this - perhaps formulating the ink would be the toughest part. But then again, it's probably not worth the effort and expense - I mean realistically how many of these things could you churn out before negatively impacting the price? Same with the e94 overprints.

I think that the toy town stamp held a certain je ne sais quoi because of its association with t206. I find the toy town stamp more of a curiosity, and would not pay a premium to obtain an example. The e94 and old put stamps, as well as niagra baking and Alden candy and their ilk were placed on the card by a purveyor of goods in order to facilitate sales, toy town never was....whether this was done contemporaneously with the card's issuance, shortly thereafter or later in life - well, I think that information has been lost to the sands of time, much like tears in rain. And if you see a c-beam glittering in the dark at the tannhauser gate........