View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
deff a cool pic of ruth but they messed it up with all that new design crap, lol

my sons 7 and i started him on collecting by giving him some 1986-90's cards - now hes obsessed. He has told us he dosnt want a superhero room anymore wants a sports room and wants to display his "rare cards" and set up his desk with some cards. lol

ALSO, getting back to that card - the back says - "auth piece of bat used during his years with the yankees" ... hmmm - im from NYC so id ask, used by who? whos bat is it? was it used by a red sock in 1925? or a yankee in 1926? or was it used by ruth himself?

If i made these cards and it was a ruth bat , id be sure to put on the back - "This is from a bat babe ruth used!"

With the exception of super high end products with MLB authentication stickers, that's pretty much the way they do all these "relic" cards today. In the early days of such cards (late 90's), they were actually reasonably specific about the item in the description on back. But either the lawyers told them to be more vague, or the companies themselves are less confident in the relics authenticity, as here's a more standard disclaimer you'll find in 2017 cards:

"THE RELIC CONTAINED ON THIS CARD IS NOT FROM ANY SPECIFIC GAME, EVENT, OR SEASON"

Yikes! Inspires a lot of confidence.

What really blows my mind is the people that will spend more on a relic card of a modern player (with no certifiable game use at all) than it probably would have cost them to buy an actual game-used jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk