Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
I looked at the scoreboard and the runner on first, they are playing the Yankees. Jackie Robinson is at 2nd. The batter looks like Joe D but I'm not 100% sure.
In doing some quick research I discovered it had to be game 4 of the 1949 World Series assuming a few things. IF it's Joe D up at bat then this is the only World Series game where there is a runner only first in the top of the 1st with no runs yet. I do have my doubts though because that means the Brooklyn pitcher is Don Newcombe and the runner on first is Yogi Berra. In my opinion neither of the players in the picture reminds me of Newcombe or Berra. That being said, either this is a pre-season exhibition game (which I doubt with presence of the CBS camera in 1949) or it isn't Joe Dimmagio at bat. He only faced the Dodgers in one World Series with Campy on the team but the Yankees faced the Dodgers in 5 World Series in Brooklyn, 49, 52,53, 55, and 56 , all with Campy who is obviously catching in your photo.

I'll keep looking to come up with another game it could be but without Joe D at the plate.

Drew

*just noticed that it appears there was one out in the inning. Ebbets scoreboard listed at bat, strikes, balls and outs across the top with the amount of each above the word. Outs is the last one listed and seems to have a "1" above it. Also no balls or strikes listed in this at bat so the pitch being thrown is the first of the at bat.
Any way to make out the player number above the at bat sign? It's right below the work "fine" at the top and all the way to the left.

Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 06-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.