View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It seems to me the higher the value (amount) the higher the risk and reward. Many collectors can play it safer towards the lower end and still come out ok even if not completely whole. Find a great looking 20k Mantle, in lower grade, and you won't lose too much when you sell it, if anything. Buy a 125k card, which has other comparables and has risen a ton recently, and there can be a swing much larger than the cost of the great looking, 20k Mantle. Spinning the wheel is about right.

And I should add one other thought. At the top of the scale of '52 Mick's, in an 8 or better, that market could still have a ways to go. There seem to be more people with a cool half million to spend than there are cards to be had. Time will tell....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
still we are talking about a year ago which isnt long when talking about a 50k card. If i bid on a card and lost by one bid which was a few k and i was the highest underbidder, i know i wouldnt bid higher. So another bidder would have to come out of the woodwork who probably already knew about the other sale.

Im guessing that the person that consigned the card a year earlier had the card for more than a year. Selling a 40k card in a year to me is a flipper. Again we are talking about the within a range that the sky isnt falling as opposed to ON FIRE analysis. If you can find that the card sold for more prior to that year old sale that would be interesting. Hertiage for example i believe reduces the juice on the consignor if they bought the card at their auction previously.

Also we dont know what arrangement on that juice was...if the seller was able to keep 10% of the juice the consignor lost within the 20% range. When you buy and driive a new car off the lot you lose a few k at least on a 50k dollar car.

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2017 at 01:37 PM.