View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Larry

I've been doing this for about 25 years, and if you're concerned with value at all, SELL!!!!!!!!!! There is more than ample evidence that the value curve for current players (even those who do pan out, and become some of the greatest of all time--see Griffey, Jr.; Frank Thomas) peaks quite early, and is propped up largely by speculative and transient demand. As it used to be said by those in the know in the hobby, what is hot WILL become cold! Their real value will not be known until they are at least in their '30's and well into their downslide. If they do pan out, that will be the BEGINNING of the time to buy them, since the cards of some new, red hot phenoms will be the ones to have. I remember when a gold refractor Joe Mauer rookie was nearly $2,000--obviously he was well on his way to becoming the greatest catcher of all time (lol). If anybody still wants it in ten years, they should be able to pick it up for around a fortieth of that! I also remember when Adam Dunn's refractor rookie was really hot stuff--I don't know the prices now, but it had only one direction to go in. And $2500 now for a gold refractor Trout??? If he becomes everything he might be, your grandchildren will be able to get it for far less than that. Cards of the best current players, even the toughest ones, are for flipping--buy low when you can, and cash out quick!

Keep them only if you like them so much that a huge percentage loss in value won't be any cause for concern.

Best of luck,

Larry