View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default Thought I'd share an interesting blank-backed 1909 Obak.....

Posted By: Mark Macrae

From my experience, 1909 Obaks are the least "consistant" among the three years of baseball cards issued by John Bollman. A close second would be Series of 150 cards from 1910. Printing can vary dramatically with some individual colors missing, lightly impressed, or overimpressed. In addition, the size and cut can vary dramatically, as commonly seen on 1909 groups. Blank & wrong backs are known as well. Based on the 100 plus groups of Obaks that I've brought into the hobby from outside sources (Quantities ranging from 10 to over 2000 in each group) over the last 35 years, it is safe to assume that "handcut" 1909's were distributed to the general public in the year of issue. This is not counting the numerous "inside the hobby" cards that I've seen or owned during that timeframe, which also exhibit similar traits. I've only seen a small percentage of 10's & 11's which are handcut from the period. Most of those cards exhibit other missing characteristics indicating that they are most likely printer's scrap. Whether or not grading companies want to grade these should not be a factor in collecting them. Individual collectors have to decide for themselves what they want to collect. If you're going to collect abalone shells, you better get used to water stains.... Much like Scott B decided, I've opted to save the nicest of each card, regardless of back & only hang on to the most striking color / printing variances........... P.S. Leon, Does this mean I can list my 305 page catalog on the B/S/T thread ?