View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default Why bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
The commoditization of baseball cards is a temporary phenomenon that began in the 1970s and in my opinion will end for the most part in the 2070's. There simply are too many cards and insufficient replacement of dying collectors. Cards are not art or coins. They do not have intrinsic value and are not created as one off expressions. Like stamps, which have already gone through this process, the ultra valuable with remain so, but 95 percent of the rest will be worth pennies on the dollar. The mantle will always be valuable, but how many 16 year olds right now will desire one at those prices upon entering adulthood? I'd love one, having been a collector, but at 35, I have no interest in spending that sort of money, nor can I, on a piece of cardboard of which there are many copies.
why do people bother collecting any thing , basically its a hobby , some times it turns into a passion , some times it turns into an addiction ,
some times people collect for what to them seems like sound investment reasons some times they pan out some times they don't.
There are thousands of worse things that you can spend disposable income on and not have anything to show for it. Spending $1000s on a piece of cardboard may seem stupid to many people, but thats the beauty of collecting there is always some one who will appreciate what you have and share their enthusiasm with you. Bottom line it a hobby have fun with it.
if you have the money to buy higher priced items then good luck to you.
if you rather spend money on "Wine Women and Song" or anything else then go for it.