View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I recently sold a Pie Traynor side written game used bat. This is all the more rare because Traynor is infamous for never ordering bats of his own, instead he constantly "borrowed" bats from others. He bragged about never placing a bat order of his own over like the last 15 years of his career or something like that. So a sidewritten bat with his name is one of the only ones that can 100% be linked to him.

Also, and I say this as a lifetime Pittsburgh Pirates fan, Traynor is one of the least Hall Of Fame worthy players enshrined in Cooperstown.

Tom C
I agree that the best bat is the side-written bat. Nothing like it. I have also heard that Pie didn't order bats for himself, but that claim is belied by the shipping records. He ordered at least 14 shipments, up to his later playing years. So, I must disagree with the claim that side-written bats are the ONLY bats that you can associate with old Pie. If you have a Traynor bat that matches his orders, then you have a pretty cool bat. (I'm keeping mine).

Also, you are wrong about Traynor not deserving his place in the Hall. In the pre-war era, clubs considered third base to be a key defensive position. It wasn't far behind ss. Traynor was one of the few who were good enough to excel at third AND to hit in the top of the order. As has been said here, the people who knew baseball during Pie Traynor's era considered him to be a great fielder and a great hitter for his position. He was considered to be the best third baseman ever. That counts for something.

I had the pleasure of talking to him 3 or 4 times when I was a little kid. I sat in the same row with him at the last game at Forbes and at game 3 of th 71 WS. He was a very genial and dignified man. He was the kind of man who makes you proud to be a Pirates fan.