View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Would you trade in your collection to see one specific game?

Posted By: Bob

Whenever the "greatest college game ever played" is debated the '71 OU-Nebraska game is the other one mentioned. The Hogs-Horns game was played in 1969, the 100th year of college football and was named the greatest game ever played in the first 100 years of college football. OU-NU was 2 years later and was a great game also.
One interesting note, the '69 game marked #1 and #2 both undefeated playing on the last day of the season and it was the only game on TV. More interesting, both teams were all-white and is of historical significance for that reason even if the game had not been such a nail-biter and cliff hanger. Both Texas and Arkansas destroyed their opponents all year long and were easily the two best teams in the nation (although Penn State also finished undefeated and Paterno has never forgiven Richard Nixon for going in to the Horns dressing room and proclaiming them national champs).
And yes I would trade every single card including every E94 color variation if somehow Sherman and Peabody could whisk me back in time and I could alert the referee to call the clip on James Street's long touchdown run which opened the 4th quarter or for the line judge not to call the phantom holding call on Chuck Dicus' touchdown reception from Bill Montgomery which would have made the score 21-0 and UT could never have come back...