View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Board's opinion on BST behavior

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Jeff,
Good points - I know I have lowered what were fair prices by up to 25 or 30% to sell to a board member who really wanted something, and I could name several members who have given me great deals when they could have easily gotten more for a card. I don't necessarily think the B/S/T is always the best place for those kind of deals to take place though.

The spirit of the B/S/T is that everyone gets an equal shot at things and the first person to respond, no matter who it is, can buy what is offered. On the other hand, part of the enjoyment of collecting is to find out what others specialize in or enjoy, and then helping that person out if you get a chance. I know if I found a card of an obscure guy who was only in one set I would offer it to Jay first for his players set, while an uncatalogued back variation or a newly discovered card would be offered to Leon, or a sharp 1933 Goudey or Hal Chase card to you, or a near perfect e93 to JimB to go with the fantastic ones he already has. There's nothing wrong with a little altruism in the hobby and in fact it is a great thing, but any of the hypothetical transactions above would take place off the B/S/T - the B/S/T doesn't always lend itself to those kinds of transactions.